Skip navigation


FAQ Sheets


What is the Veterans Service Commission?

The Franklin County Veterans Service Commission is a board of five honorably discharged veterans who oversee operation of the County's Veterans Service Office. Our role is to see that veterans, their spouses, and their dependent children, as well as surviving spouses of deceased veterans, obtain temporary financial assistance when they are in need. We also assist veterans in obtaining earned benefits from Federal, State, and local government agencies.

Can I get a copy of my discharge paper?

Yes. We can assist in obtaining a copy of your military discharge (DD-214). Please call for more information.

How often does the Veterans Service Commission meet?

The Veterans Service Commissioners meet each Wednesday at 8:00 a.m. to review and render decisions on the financial assistance applications of the prior week.

Do you have to serve in a war to be considered a Veteran?

No. There are different requirements based on which benefit is sought. Generally a Veteran is a member of the Armed Forces that has served on Active duty for other than training purposes or who was disabled due to their military service. Please call for more information.

I am interested in purchasing a home under the GI Home Loan what do I need to do?

If you have your Certificate of Eligibility you need to take this to a Loan Agency to start the process. If you do not have your Certificate of Eligibility you need to contact our Office for application to apply for the Certificate of Eligibility. Copy of DD 214, Separation Paper must accompany application.

I want to file a claim for Service Connected Compensation. What do I do?

You will need to file for benefits. You will need to bring in your Original or Certified Copy DD 214, Separation Paper, all available medical information of any treatment received while in Service and after service. For any eligible Dependents you will also need Marriage, Divorces, and/or Birth Certificates and Social Security Numbers.

My father/mother is now a patient in a nursing home. Medicaid says I have to apply for VA Pension, what do I do?

You will need to file an application for VA Pension. You will need to bring in Original or Certified Copy of DD 214, Separation Paper, all monthly income received from all sources, amount of Assets, Marriages, Divorces, Death Certificates, Social Security Numbers of Veteran and Dependents.

Do you provide temporary financial assistance?

Temporary funds for food, housing and utilities may be provided to veterans and/or their dependents. Eligible veterans will have established 90-days of residency in Franklin County. The following factors will be considered when determining financial need: proof of veteran status (DD-214 or other separation or discharge record), proof of household income, assets, and current bills. Unemployed veterans are required to be actively seeking employment or must provide medical evidence of the inability to work.

Where can I get information about my late father's military career?

VA may have some records available if a descendant was a VA beneficiary. You may send identifying information to your nearest VA regional office. Useful information would include full name, VA file number, and branch of service, service serial number, Social Security number, exact dates of birth or death, and enlistment and discharge dates. If the veteran has not been a VA beneficiary, you may call the regional office at 1-800-827-1000 to request Standard Form 180, Request Pertaining to Military Records, to file with the National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records, 9700 Page Avenue, St. Louis, MO, 63132-5100.

I was on active military duty from 1959 through 1960. I recently became disabled, not from any service-connected cause, and may not be able to return to work. Am I eligible for nonservice-connected pension benefits from VA since I now have a limited income?

Veterans' entitlement to nonservice-connected disability pension is premised on three basic criteria: the individual must have a minimum of 90 days of active military service, one of which must have been during a designated wartime period; the veteran must be permanently and totally disabled or so disabled that it would be impossible for the average person to pursue substantially gainful employment; and the veteran's countable income must be within limits defined by statute. Because your active service was entirely during peacetime, you do not meet the service eligibility requirement for pension benefits.