Skip navigation

Survivor Benefits

You may be able to receive dependency or indemnity compensation if you are a survivor of:

  • A service member who died in active duty
  • A veteran who died from service-related disabilities
  • A veteran who was being paid 100 percent disability compensation at time of death.

DIC is a monthly check paid to eligible survivors of certain deceased veterans.

To get DIC, you must be an eligible survivor of a veteran who died because of a service-related illness or injury.

If the veteran's death was NOT service-related, you may still be eligible if EITHER of the following conditions existed at the time of death:

  • the veteran was getting VA Disability Compensation for a total disability for the last 10 years. (Note: this also includes veterans who would have received VA compensation but didn't because they were getting military retirement or disability pay).
  • the veteran was getting VA Disability Compensation for a total disability continuously since released from active duty and for at least 5 years.

You may be an eligible survivor if:

  • you were married to the veteran for at least 1 year (Note: If a child was born, there is no time requirement AND
  • your marriage was valid, AND
  • you lived with the veteran continuously until his/her death or, if you separated, you weren't at fault, AND
  • you did not remarry. (Note: If you remarried, entitlement to DIC may be restored if the subsequent remarriage is terminated by death or divorce.)


  • you are an unmarried child of a deceased veteran AND
  • you are under age 18, or between the ages of 18 and 23 and attending school.

(Note: Certain helpless adult children and some parents of deceased veterans are entitled to DIC. Call VA toll free (1-800-827-1000) for the eligibility requirements for these survivors.)

How Much Does VA Pay?

VA pays a basic monthly rate of $948 to eligible surviving spouses. In some cases, VA can pay more. Call the Veterans Services Office for information about rates paid to eligible children.

How Can I Apply?

You can apply by filling out VA Form 21-534, Application for Dependency and Indemnity Compensation, Death Pension and Accrued Benefits By a Surviving Spouse or Child, and mailing it to the VA Regional Office that serves your area

Franklin County Veteran Service Commission,
300 East Broad Street
Columbus, Ohio 43215
(614) 525-2500 fax (614) 525-2505

Veterans Service Commission is available to help you understand these benefits and to apply for programs and services for which you may be eligible.